You will collaborate with Upstatement’s leadership to achieve organizational goals through setting and implementing operational strategy. You’ll translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth, monitoring performance and implementing practice improvements.
You’ll be a servant-leader, finding and implementing ways to help the Upstatement team to be efficient, productive, and effective. In this role, you will oversee agency operations and productivity, contributing to a highly inclusive culture and ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met.
- Translate Upstatement’s vision into strong organizational performance through effective goal-setting, team management, and accountability systems.
- Generally support the leadership team, enabling the Principals and other leaders to focus on vision, innovation, and growth.
- Develop and maintain an operating plan that reflects Upstatement’s priorities
Measurement & Resourcing
- Develop trackers and other methods of reporting results and KPIs, so that Upstatement’s leadership and team can see their progress-to-goals and obstacles to progress are addressed quickly.
- Analyze operations -- including project delivery and internal administration -- and identify areas of process enhancement
- Partner with internal stakeholders to drive implementation of operational improvements
- In partnership with Head of Producers and leadership, ensure all client accounts and projects remain on budget and schedule
- Ensure proper utilization and measurement of resources across departments
- Coordinate regularly with the Principals and other leaders to develop plans, resolve issues, and update priorities
People & Operations Leadership
- Prepare budgets, reports, and other key information for Principals, other leaders and employees
- Oversee operations, HR, and accounting
- Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention
- Be a point of contact for any day-to-day internal escalations/issues
- Support Upstatement in more deeply incorporating diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist principles into every aspect of the organization, with the support of outside experts as needed.
- Help the team continually concretize and reinforce Upstatement’s culture through rituals, artifacts, and traditions.
- Invest time and attention in coaching and developing the Upstatement team, through formal systems (e.g. well-designed performance reviews) and informal conversation and mentorship.
- (When the time comes) join the team in searching for physical office space: leading nuts-and-bolts issues of pricing and negotiation. Provide support for existing landlord and/or sublease management
- Foster a culture of excellence, feedback, growth, and curiosity
Account & Business Operations
- Negotiate and incorporate best practices into Master Services Agreements and other contract types
- Ensure a smooth transition between sales process and project starts
- Introduce and manage account management procedures and best practices
- Further develop and manage partnership programs with other agencies, vendors and organizations
- Iterate upon project types: develop contracts (SOWs) and other materials to support their usage
- Join the business development team and help develop certain deals and see through to the work.
- Competitive salaries
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- A company-matched retirement plan
- Healthy (and non-healthy!) snacks
- A generous, flexible vacation policy
- Company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- A gorgeously-designed office in a historic building near North Station, opposite TD Garden
- Skill + personal development talks, workshops, and seminars
- A yearly professional development stipend
- Supplementary benefits like a Flexible Spending Account(FSA) and an Employee Assistance Program(EAP)
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and a link to your portfolio (and anything else that helps us understand what makes you awesome) to email@example.com with “Managing Director of Business Operations” in the subject.
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.