Join us at the forefront of sophisticated architecture, tool creation, process definition, and team communication. We’re looking for a driven engineer with well-rounded experience to lead the creation of remarkable digital products.
- Solution Architecture: Engineers participate in our projects from day one: sitting in on stakeholder interviews, checking out existing codebases, and getting to know the client’s tech team. Once we have a handle on the problem space we evaluate possible technology solutions. We’re not married to any one tech stack. We work closely with our clients to figure out the right tool for the job and strike the right balance between boring and new.
- Collaboration: Engineers work as part of small multi-disciplinary teams. Designers, producers, and engineers work together every day of the project from strategy presentations through to final browser bug fixing. We kick off each day with a daily standup and check in frequently via Slack, Trello, and Github. We also keep up lightweight communication via Slack with clients—engineers at Upstatement are client-facing, so you won’t be playing telephone with account managers.
- Leadership: As a Lead Engineer, you’ll mentor newer team members and guide them on projects towards becoming amazing leaders in their own right. You’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to long-term internal projects and define best practices across the department. In recent months we’ve had company-wide shares on GDPR, git-iquette, performance testing, and SEO.
- A full-stack shop doing large and technically ambitious projects
- Champions of resourceful engineers and best practices
- Inspired by the bleeding edge, yet pragmatic and tool agnostic
- Open Source advocates and contributors
- Pavers of individual growth paths (for makers and managers!)
- Supporters of ambition and career development
- Professional experience in a similar role
- Fluency with one or more server-side languages
- Familiarity with popular frameworks and CMSs
- Modern client-side skills
- Intimate knowledge of web performance and security
- Working knowledge of common testing tools and methodologies
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and best practices
- Working familiarity with Scrum/Agile methodologies
- Communicative, thoughtful, optimistic, and collaborative
- Competitive salaries
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- A company-matched retirement plan
- Healthy (and non-healthy!) snacks
- A generous, flexible vacation policy
- Company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- A gorgeously-designed office in a historic building near North Station, opposite TD Garden
- Skill + personal development talks, workshops, and seminars
- A yearly professional development stipend
- Dedicated time for internal/experimental projects, knowledge shares, and other cultural activities like our Friday Talks
- Supplementary benefits like a Flexible Spending Account(FSA) and an Employee Assistance Program(EAP)
About the department
Check out our Engineers page to learn a bit more about the technology department, read some blog posts, and figure out what makes our engineers tick.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and links to your website/projects/github to email@example.com with “Lead Engineer” in the subject.
Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.