Help us make and manage the future of engineering at Upstatement.
As Engineering Manager, you’ll oversee the individual growth, productivity, and technical capabilities of Upstatement’s engineering department. You will be both mentor and champion of professional and technical development to a talented and pragmatic group of engineers, while proactively contributing to the strategic direction of engineering at Upstatement: by contributing to projects and overseeing the quality of our engineering deliverables.
- Making. Act as Technical Director and/or Lead Engineer where appropriate on client projects
- Mentorship. Help our engineers realize their full potential by passing on your engineering craftsmanship through frequent check-ins
- Career Coaching. Work closely with your reports to establish and track career development targets through bi-annual performance reviews
- Resourcing. Work with producers and Design Managers to ensure engineers are properly allocated
- Recruitment & Retention. Work closely with the Head of Engineering to maintain a healthy recruitment pipeline
- Continuous Learning. Inform, reinforce and evolve the discipline of engineering at Upstatement through shares and other channels
- Professional experience in a similar role
- Lead by example: fosters a culture of creativity, forward thinking, open dialogue, and fun
- Fluency with one or more server-side languages
- Familiarity with popular frameworks and CMSs
- Modern client-side skills
- Intimate knowledge of web performance and security
- Working knowledge of common testing tools and methodologies
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and best practices
- Working familiarity with Scrum/Agile methodologies
- A full-stack shop doing large and technically ambitious projects
- Champions of resourceful engineers and best practices
- Inspired by the bleeding edge, yet pragmatic and tool agnostic
- Open Source advocates and contributors
- Pavers of individual growth paths (for makers and managers!)
- Supporters of ambition and career development
- Competitive salaries
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- A company-matched retirement plan
- Healthy (and non-healthy!) snacks
- 4+ weeks vacation, including company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- A gorgeously-designed office in a historic building near North Station, opposite TD Garden
- Skill + personal development talks, workshops, and seminars
- $1500 yearly professional development stipend
- Friday time for internal/experimental projects, knowledge shares, and other cultural activities like our Friday Talks
About the department
Check out our Engineers page to learn a bit more about the technology department, read some blog posts, and figure out what makes our engineers tick.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and links to your website/projects/GitHub to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.